On Saturday 21 March 2015 we joined Cubs from across Petworth & Pulborough District on a visit to the Historic Dockyard at Portsmouth. Our 9 Cubs and 4 adults travelled by one of the three coaches arranged by the District. Ours started in Billingshurst and then picked up Cubs from Wisborough Green and Ifold en route.
Once we got into the Dockyard we explored the many decks of HMS Warrior (lots of steep ladders) and had a rather chilly boat trip round the harbour. After a lunch stop it was onto HMS Victory (low ceilings) before we visited the new Mary Rose museum.
After all the good behaviour in the museums we let off steam in the hands on “Action Stations” area where the rock climbing and simulator proved popular. Then it was time to get back on the coach for the journey home.
As usual we used our Parbrook Cashback to subsidise the coach travel, reducing the cost by £6. We can only continue to do this if you support us by clicking through from Easyfundraising when you are shopping online.
|For more pictures please see our
Thanks to Jacala for providing the photos
Those that followed us (@ParbrookCubs) on Twitter or checked the home page of the website for our Twitter feed got extra information (including pictures) during the day:
- So this is Portsmouth. Lovely day for a trip. We’ll be onboard HMS Warrior later https://twitter.com/parbrookcubs/status/579217519707324416/photo/1
- Ahoy there, we’re onboard HMS Warrior @ HMS Warrior 1860 https://instagram.com/p/0fJlkOKhmk/
- Brr, rather chilly on the harbour tour but lots to see @ Portsmouth Historic Dockyard https://instagram.com/p/0fRSWkKhhT/
- Lots to see on HMS Victory @ HMS Victory https://instagram.com/p/0ffCZLKhr9/
- Seems that it is just the leaders that are flagging @ HMS Victory https://instagram.com/p/0fqJZtKhiG/
- Thanks Portsmouth, it’s been a fab day. All aboard and heading home @ The Hard Interchange https://instagram.com/p/0fy2vCKho8/All back and collected. Thanks to the District for organising a great day
Last time: We last visited Portsmouth in 2011
You can keep up to date with the ships we saw in the harbour
- HMS Iron Duke – Royal Navy website
- HMS Defender – Royal Navy Website
- HMS Warrior – website including onboard webcam for live harbour views
- Historic Dockyard – venue website