See the current badge requirements on the Scout HQ website
Changes to some badges from January 2018
As part of its continual programme review, Scout HQ has made some changes to badge requirements across all sections. In Cubs the following badges have been changed:
- Animal Carer Activity Badge
- Astronomer Activity Badge
- Athletics Plus Activity Badge
- Book Reader Activity Badge
- Collector Activity Badge
- DIY Activity Badge
- Gardener Activity Badge (NEW)
- Global Issues Activity Badge
- Hobbies Activity Badge
- International Activity Badge
- Photographer Activity Badge
- Scientist Activity Badge
- Skater Activity Badge
- Snow sports staged Activity Badge (NEW)
- Sports Enthusiast Activity Badge
- Our World Challenge Award
If you would like to update your badge book then you can download the new requirements from the Scout HQ website. You can work to either the old or new requirements for existing badges until the end of January 2019. This page links to the Scout HQ website which is showing both old and new requirements. However, our badge record system in My Scout has been updated so that only the new requirements are shown.
We are happy for you to work on activity badges or work towards your challenges at home but it may be a good idea to have a quick word with a leader before you start so that they can tell you what they expect from you and what evidence you will need to bring in.
You can find badge requirements online. We don’t publish badge requirements on our own site as we link to the Scouts national site so that we can be sure that they are up to date.
There are four sorts of badges:
- activity badges – the round red ones that you wear on your arm. They cover things such as collector, sports enthusiast and martial arts.
- staged activity badges – the round blue ones that you wear on your arm (just the highest stage that you have earned). They cover things like nights away but also include musician and swimmer.
- challenge awards – the hexagonal badges that you wear on the front of your sweatshirt. They are the top badges to earn as they go towards your Chief Scout’s Silver Award. These cover a wider range of subjects.
- core badges – the World Membership badge, joining in awards
When you have earned your badge you will need to know where to sew it.
Our badge system sends you an e-mail when you have been awarded a badge. You can also log onto My Scout to see progress towards any uncompleted badges. Click on the badges tab and any that are shown partially in grey are work in progress. Select the badge picture and it will show the badge requirements and which parts have been completed.
Skills challenge – work you can do at home
The challenge has a number of skills that are best demonstrated at home. If you are looking for some badgework to do then download our home skills sheet, demonstrate the skills and get them signed off. We’ll do the paperwork if you bring a signed sheet in to Cubs.