On 22 February 2015 we joined other Scouts including our friends from 2nd Bracknell to see London Irish play Leicester Tigers in the Aviva Premiership. This is the third of London Irish’s annual Scout days and we’ve attended all three.
As usual we’d advertised our trip to all of 1st Billingshurst (Scouts & Guides) and the local Active Support group and were pleased to be able to sell 34 of the 35 seats on our coach. Parbrook Cubs were joined by a couple of Scouts and a Cub and leader from Dauxwood Cubs. We used our Parbrook Cashback to subsidise the coach travel, reducing the cost by half.
This year our seats were on the upper tier of the West Stand. Although we still had to sit in the corner, the elevated position gave us a great view of the pitch, even when the action was taking place at the other end. After what was best described as a scrappy game the final score was London Irish 6, Leicester Tigers 12. The Tigers continued their try drought with it now being over 300 minutes of match play since they last scored one.
If you are a rugby fan then this trip may help you get the Cub Sports Enthusiast badge.
After two years of excellent organisation by London Irish things seemed to be less coordinated this year and sadly we no Scouts were involved in the guard of honour on the pitch. It was also a bitterly cold day but we hope that those who joined us enjoyed themselves.
Match report: You can read a report of the game on the Premiership Rugby website.
|For more pictures please see our
London Irish gallery
Thanks to Jacala for providing the photos
Those that followed us (@ParbrookCubs) on Twitter or checked the home page of the website for our Twitter feed got extra information (including pictures) from the match:
- Safely arrived at lirfc. Looking a bit damp but the cubs are excited http://instagram.com/p/zZ57UiKhiq/
- There’s a great view from our seats. Thank you lirfc. Looking forwsrd to the game @ Madejski Stadium… http://instagram.com/p/zZ8VtOKhnZ/
- Hello to David Sainsbury, the TMO at
@lirfc today. He’s from Billingshurst too and will be busy with Wayne Barnes refereeing
- Half time at a chilly
@lirfc Scout Day in Reading. Irish 3, Tigers 9
- A rather slow second half here at Reading & the final score is Irish 6, Tigers 12. Thanks to
@LIRFC for asking us to come along #scoutday
- Blimey, it is a wet old journey back. Glad we can relax and let George do the driving. Will tweet ETA… http://instagram.com/p/zaSMI0KhmN/
- So that was Guildford. Looks as if we might get back at about 1750
- Home safely, cubs collected, hopefully a good day had by all http://instagram.com/p/zaaSraKhoz/