At 1st Billingshurst we are proud of our links with the Royal British Legion and were pleased to be part of the village Remembrance Sunday parade on Sunday 9 November. We selected Cubs to do the following jobs:
- Colour bearer (to carry our flag). Our eldest Cub: James
- Colour party (2 Cubs to escort our flag on the parade): Harry and Jake
- Wreath bearer (to lay our wreath at the war memorial). Our Cub of the month for October: Lauren
On Tuesday 11 November (Remembrance Day itself) we used our pack meeting to help out the British Legion by opening the collection pots from around the village. The money inside had to be counted, bagged and most importantly noted down so that the people knew how much they had collected. It was a busy evening with everybody involved. At the end of the evening we confirmed that the total counted was £2222. We do this every year so can compare the totals that we counted.
- In 2007 we counted £766 which we thought was pretty good going.
- In 2008 we counted an amazing £1766 including over £400 in notes
- In 2009 we counted £784.22 although being 10 November some of the tins were still collecting and so it is not a complete total for the area.
- In 2010 we counted a staggering £1538, much to the delight of Stan from the British Legion.
- In 2011 we counted a fantastic £2206.47, possibly helped by it being 90 years of the British Legion.
- In 2012 we counted £1619.70. An amazing total donated by the people of Billingshurst and the surrounding area.
- We don’t have a figure for 2013
- In 2014 out total came to £2222 – our highest ever
|For more pictures please see our Remembrance gallery|
Thanks to Hathi for providing the photos from Remembrance Sunday