We joined Scouts and Guides from all over Berkshire to see London Irish play Leicester Tigers in the Aviva Premiership. This is the second of London Irish’s annual Scout and Guide days – we were there for the first one last year.
We’d advertised our trip to all of 1st Billingshurst (Scouts & Guides) and the local Active Support group so were rather disappointed to still have spare seats on our coach. Parbrook Cubs were joined by a couple of Scouts and a Beaver. Our coach arrived rather early for the start of the match as we flew through the Surrey streets which had very little traffic so early on Sunday morning. (Note to Raksha that we can afford to leave a bit later next time as the ground was still locked up when we arrived!) It wasn’t a problem as we were able to spend plenty of time looking around the club shop which was packed with sale bargains and also much warmer than standing out in the cold wind.
When we got into the ground our seats were in the corner of the stand. Last year we were high up in the east stand, this time we were just a few rows back from the edge of the pitch. Unfortunately a lot of the action took place at the other end of the pitch but as the match ended we were right in the centre of the action with London Irish having their try disallowed. Then final score was London Irish 15, Leicester Tigers 20.
If you are a rugby fan then this trip may help you get the Cub Sports Enthusiast badge.
Those that followed us (@ParbrookCubs) on Twitter or checked the home page of the website for our Twitter feed got extra information (including pictures) from the match although some problems sending message meant that it wasn’t always as it happened:
- Our rugby tickets have arrived from
@LiRFC. Just 1 half time guard of honour wristband this time. Who will we pick?
- Arrived safely at Reading for the
@LiRFC scout and guide day
- In position at London Irish for the scout and guide day. If watching on BT Sport look out for us in the east corner
- Tigers warming up at our end. Give us a wave Toby Flood. Thanks to
@lirfc for inviting Scouts and Guides to the match
- 8 minutes left of the first half. A strong performance from the Irish. Not what we expected from the tigers. 9 – 5 the score
- Well done to Craig who formed part of the half time guard of honour
- Typical. All the action seems to be at the other end of the pitch. Irish scoring at our end this half
- A thrilling end to the match but it ended Irish 15, Tigers 20. A great afternoon for the Scout and Guide day
- Bumped into our friends from
@2ndBracknell. Great to be part of the 1300 Scouts and Guides at the @lirfc game
- Seems that there are one or two other people heading our way but we are doing our best.
- Parbrook Cubs and friends at the London Irish rugby game. This pic and more on Berkshire Scouts Facebook page
Last time: We last visited London Irish in February 2013. You can read our report